Inhabited west coast Scottish islands - Ulva update

Just a few days after I published my post on Ulva and Gometra I saw a BBC TV programme (Designing The Hebrides) about the renovation of an old bothy on the south coast of Ulva. My post said that there were no buildings on the south coast of Ulva - or any paths in that direction. This, clearly, was not the case - but, in my defence, none of the articles I’d read, prior to my visit to Ulva, mentioned this bothy even existed. Having said that, I need to hold my hand up to failing to examine my maps more carefully and at a magnification level which will clearly show such features.
Near the start of this programme there was a map which indicated the location of this bothy so I was able to use the map apps on my phone to focus on only this area. My Google Maps indicated nothing - and at first my free version of OS maps also indicated nothing - but, still on my OS phone map, I zoomed in on the area and there indeed was a small building shown (a small rectangle). I then used the map application on my laptop, which is based under licence on the OS maps, and again, after zooming in, the building in question was clearly shown. The programme said that this bothy, like many bothies around Scotland, would originally have been for someone looking after the sheep (and possibly cattle) sent to pasture on that side of the island. The TV programme also mentioned that it had more recently been used by trekkers exploring that side of the island and although now in disrepair again it had clearly, given the items inside it, previously been renovated to some extent. I got the impression that this building was not being renovated for permanent residence but intended only, once again, as a bothy for trekkers to use while exploring the south coast of the island. However, there was no mention if anyone would just be able to turn up and use it or if it had to be booked in advance, so it would be worthwhile checking up on this before just arriving and finding others already in occupation.
My laptop map, zoomed in, also showed the path leading to this bothy. On the map it only looks like a path (a single dotted line) but, as shown on the TV programme, it is actually wide enough, and good enough, for a quad bike to navigate. One shot showed a quad bike, with a trailer attached, bringing in materials for the renovation. I missed seeing this path on my visit to Gometra as, as mentioned in my original post, I initially took a wrong turn and where I joined the Gometra track was west of where the track to the bothy starts (which is in the lower, east end of the island to the south of the Boathouse and branching off the Gometra track). I also missed it on the way back but that is probably because I was back on my bike by then and carefully watching the track rather than what was around me. Note that this is why I generally prefer walking as doing so makes it a lot easier to observe everything around you. This path, come track, will certainly make exploring the south side of Ulva a lot easier than tramping over wild hillside would be. It is even possible that this path heads further west from the bothy in question as my laptop map, at even higher magnification, indicates that it might - but I’m not sure about that.
Using my laptop map software, with the magnification factor left at where the bothy was shown, I panned all along the south and west coasts. I now saw that there were several cottage sized structures shown along the south coast, some clustered in groups and others looking isolated. Without actually seeing them, I cannot say for sure but I suspect that they are also ruined cottages, like the ones I saw along the north coast, which were abandoned after the Highland Clearances. This, of course, would suggest that the whole island, not just the north and east coasts (as I suggested in my original post), was once occupied and farmed. That, maybe, indicates that the bothy was originally permanently occupied prior to being converted to a cottage for a shepherd to use? There was also a small square indicated on the west coast a bit south of the bridge to Gometra which I suspect is another abandoned and ruined, pre-clearances cottage..
The TV programme, which was very recently made, stated that the population of Ulva is now ten - so it looks like the regeneration programme is going well.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inhabited west coast Scottish islands - Ulva and Gometra

Inhabited west coast Scottish islands - Shona